Press Release - Thursday, 24 September 2020
BVA-SOVAPE 2020 vape and nicotine survey
The results of the new BVA-SOVAPE survey show that most French people still have false perceptions of the risks of vaping and nicotine. This is detrimental to public health and, because there has been no public information campaign to redress it, has not changed since 2019. Sovape, public health experts, addiction experts and smoking cessation experts are sounding the alarm.
Read more: 75% of French people do not know that vaping is less harmful than smoking
ETHRA has made a submission to the Netherlands Ministry of Health, Wellbeing and Sports’ public plain packaging consultation, which ended last Friday. The purpose of the draft legislation is to “set requirements by ministerial regulation for the standard packaging of cigars and electronic vapor goods.” If enacted the legislation will see plain packaging requirements, which are currently applied to combustible tobacco products, also applied to products which are far less risky to health, such as vaping products.
Read more: Neutral packaging for safer nicotine products will cause more smoking
Europe's Beating Cancer Plan(EBCP) is a key EU initiative put in place to combat cancer, a leading cause of death in the EU, claiming an estimated 1.3 million lives each year. The initiative was launched on February 4th at an event in the European Parliament in Brussels, and includes two public consultations: the roadmap and a public consultation.
DADAFO and ETHRA have written to the Danish Health Minister, MPs and MEPs to outline why some of the proposed measures in the Bill amending the Act on the ban on tobacco advertising etc will be detrimental to public health. We have also submitted the letter to the TRIS notification for the bill.
- Proposed flavour ban in the Netherlands - letter
- Smoking and pregnancy: should we really discourage vaping, at the risk of smoking?
- The Belgian government is making a huge mistake by considering e-cigarettes to be as harmful as conventional cigarettes
- Germany must use its EU Presidency to act wisely on e-cigarettes
- Europe-wide consumer organisation launches manifesto on behalf of millions of former smokers
- Estonia takes the first steps towards recognising tobacco harm reduction
- If you tolerate this then YOUR flavours will be next
- Finland: Consumers demand access to snus during COVID-19 restrictions
- COVID-19 and Tobacco Harm Reduction: The European Response
- Dr Lund corrects the misinformation in Dagens Næringsliv’s recent vaping article
- WHO leadership pushes back against science in defence of Indian tobacco interests and Bloomberg’s electoral agenda
- Ireland General Election 2020: No political party supports vapers
- Snus replaces smoking - provides great public health benefits
- We in Sweden should be proud - EUforSnus asks the Swedish government to respond to Dutch proposal
- European vapers must mobilise in 2020
- Norway - The success of snus in Norway proves the benefits of harm reduction and should be celebrated
- #sovape: reassuring the public is a public health imperative
- Finland’s extreme anti-nicotine policy is wrong and should be rejected by the EU
- Research published today shows alarming perceptions of risk among French adults
- Dutch government urged to consult with consumers before pursuing dangerous legislation