ETHRA’s monthly roundup of news: BECA report adopted - BVRA joins ETHRA - Countries propose anti-vaping measures - Tobacco Tax Directive revision - UK leads the way in tobacco harm reduction - INNCO position statement on flavours. Read on for more.
Tobacco Excise Directive Revision: What is it and how could it affect users of safer nicotine products
What is the Tobacco Excise Tax Directive?
Excise duties are indirect taxes on the sale or use of goods such as alcohol/alcoholic drinks, fuel or tobacco products.
Today, Directive 2011/64/EU “on the structure and rates of excise duty applied to manufactured tobacco” (Tobacco Excise Directive) covers product definitions, excise tax structure (how excise tax is calculated), tax base (what exactly is taxed, for example a cigarette stick or a kg of fine-cut tobacco), and tax level (how much the minimum tax per unit must be) for combustible tobacco (cigarettes, fine-cut tobacco, cigars, cigarillos, pipe and other smoking tobacco).
Read more: Tobacco Excise Directive Revision: What is it and how could it affect users of safer nicotine...
On Thursday 9 December, the European Parliament’s Special Committee on Beating Cancer (BECA) met for the final time to vote on amendments and the Rapporteur’s report on how to strengthen Europe’s role in the fight against cancer. The report was adopted with 29 MEPs in favour, 1 against, and 4 abstentions. The final report will include 145 compromise amendments which were adopted in their entirety. Among those adopted is compromise amendment 8c which directly relates to safer nicotine products.
Read more: BECA report adopted - Positives for THR overshadowed by the threat of a flavour ban
ETHRA’s monthly roundup of news: BECA debate ‘controversial’ issue of flavours - ETHRA, Sovape & Aiduce letters to BECA - ACPAN joins ETHRA - Vape shop support increases smoking cessation - Nicotine pouch ban - sCOPe Livestream Library - Country updates. Read on for more.
- The preservation of flavours is essential - ETHRA letter to BECA
- BECA draft report: second consideration of amendments
- ETHRA October news roundup
- ETHRA and partners write to the delegations of the European Parties to FCTC COP9
- ETHRA September news roundup
- Lithuania flavour ban - TRIS notification
- ETHRA August news roundup
- ETHRA July news roundup
- MEP support for harm reduction during presentation BECA Draft report
- The European Parliament’s role in Europe's Beating Cancer Plan
- Report on the application of the TPD
- ETHRA June news roundup
- ETHRA EU NICOTINE USERS SURVEY REPORT
- ETHRA May news roundup
- ETHRA's view on the SCHEER Opinion
- ETHRA April news roundup
- URGENT CALL TO ACTION FOR EU TAX CONSULTATION
- ETHRA March news roundup
- Eurobarometer: Attitudes of Europeans towards tobacco and electronic cigarettes
- ETHRA February news roundup