ETHRA’s monthly roundup of news: European Parliament adopts BECA report - Javed Khan wants to hear from you! - Consultation opens in Scotland - DG SANTE meet THR advocates - Survey findings published. Read on for more.
On Wednesday 16 February 2022, the European Parliament voted to adopt the final report of the Special Committee on Beating Cancer (BECA). The report makes a range of recommendations to strengthen Europe’s fight against cancer and is structured around 4 main areas: prevention, screening, equitable access to care, and patient support. The vote followed a plenary debate where the full European Parliament debated the report and tabled amendments. The report was adopted by an overwhelming majority of 652 in favour, 15 against and 27 abstentions (see page 2).
Read more: EU recognises tobacco harm reduction with the adoption of the BECA report
ETHRA attends European Commission meeting on new tobacco and nicotine products in tobacco control policies
ETHRA was encouraged to receive an invitation from the European Commission’s DG SANTE to a virtual meeting entitled "New tobacco and nicotine products in tobacco control policies," which took place on Thursday 10 February. The meeting’s objectives were not clear, but it offered consumer organisations an opportunity to express their views on safer nicotine products.
Read more: ETHRA attends European Commission meeting on new tobacco and nicotine products in tobacco control...
ETHRA’s monthly roundup of news: BECA report published - Multiple threats to flavours - Scramble to regulate / ban nicotine pouches - Anesvap testimonials - Slash on snus - Bloomberg rebuffs experts. Read on for more.
- ETHRA December news roundup
- Tobacco Excise Directive Revision: What is it and how could it affect users of safer nicotine products
- BECA report adopted - Positives for THR overshadowed by the threat of a flavour ban
- ETHRA November news roundup
- The preservation of flavours is essential - ETHRA letter to BECA
- BECA draft report: second consideration of amendments
- ETHRA October news roundup
- ETHRA and partners write to the delegations of the European Parties to FCTC COP9
- ETHRA September news roundup
- Lithuania flavour ban - TRIS notification
- ETHRA August news roundup
- ETHRA July news roundup
- MEP support for harm reduction during presentation BECA Draft report
- The European Parliament’s role in Europe's Beating Cancer Plan
- Report on the application of the TPD
- ETHRA June news roundup
- ETHRA EU NICOTINE USERS SURVEY REPORT
- ETHRA May news roundup
- ETHRA's view on the SCHEER Opinion
- ETHRA April news roundup