On Thursday 9 December, the European Parliament’s Special Committee on Beating Cancer (BECA) met for the final time to vote on amendments and the Rapporteur’s report on how to strengthen Europe’s role in the fight against cancer. The report was adopted with 29 MEPs in favour, 1 against, and 4 abstentions. The final report will include 145 compromise amendments which were adopted in their entirety. Among those adopted is compromise amendment 8c which directly relates to safer nicotine products.
Read more: BECA report adopted - Positives for THR overshadowed by the threat of a flavour ban
ETHRA’s monthly roundup of news: BECA debate ‘controversial’ issue of flavours - ETHRA, Sovape & Aiduce letters to BECA - ACPAN joins ETHRA - Vape shop support increases smoking cessation - Nicotine pouch ban - sCOPe Livestream Library - Country updates. Read on for more.
Flavours are intrinsic to the success of vaping products as a harm reduction tool. This is the vital piece of information that was missing from the 8 November meeting of the Special Committee on Beating Cancer. Debate at the meeting was focussed on compromise amendments to the Rapporteur’s Draft report, which could include banning certain flavours, see our article here. This has prompted ETHRA to write to all BECA members to outline the importance of flavours in smoking cessation, and to urge BECA to give serious consideration to the unintended consequences a ban on flavours would have. Our letter is below.
Read more: The preservation of flavours is essential - ETHRA letter to BECA
On Monday 8 November the European Parliament’s Special Committee on Beating Cancer met to debate amendments to the Rapporteur’s draft report. This was the second and final consideration of amendments before a vote in Committee, which is scheduled for 6 December. A recurring theme throughout the meeting was the need for compromise in addressing amendments, particularly in the area of prevention. Worryingly for vapers, the topic of e-cigarettes and flavours featured prominently.
Read more: BECA draft report: second consideration of amendments
- ETHRA October news roundup
- ETHRA and partners write to the delegations of the European Parties to FCTC COP9
- ETHRA September news roundup
- Lithuania flavour ban - TRIS notification
- ETHRA August news roundup
- ETHRA July news roundup
- MEP support for harm reduction during presentation BECA Draft report
- The European Parliament’s role in Europe's Beating Cancer Plan
- Report on the application of the TPD
- ETHRA June news roundup
- ETHRA EU NICOTINE USERS SURVEY REPORT
- ETHRA May news roundup
- ETHRA's view on the SCHEER Opinion
- ETHRA April news roundup
- URGENT CALL TO ACTION FOR EU TAX CONSULTATION
- ETHRA March news roundup
- Eurobarometer: Attitudes of Europeans towards tobacco and electronic cigarettes
- ETHRA February news roundup
- Europe's Beating Cancer plan fails smokers
- ETHRA January news roundup